Sunday, April 28, 2013

Half Marathon Week 13 - What a week

My accountability record is that if I didn't do what I should have done, I don't blog about it. So it's a good thing I'm blogging today!!

I missed my 12 mile long run last week (actually only completed Tuesday's run); it was a bungle of timing which left me disappointed as I could have completed the run, but didn't realize that until it was too late.

I got in Tuesday's run, slightly amended. It was supposed to be 4 miles, I gave it 3 and hit a pretty great pace for me. So I was satisfied. It was hot that day and running in the afternoon was just too much from that perspective. I guess I'm going to need to be better about running in the morning when it's cool. It's been a chaotic week since Monday and my Tuesday run was a great opportunity to run and think some things through. Part of what I was focused on is the repetition of the Four Agreements. I understand there is a book based on these ideas, but a friend shared just the agreements with me and I've been reminding myself of them all week.

No other runs this week until today though. The chaos just dragged me down in a lot of ways. On Saturday though I did a 2 mile walk/hike around Temescal park in Oakland. A beautiful morning activity that surprised me, I've not spent much time in the Oakland hills area and it was just so pretty. 
 
A view of Lake Temescal
I actually got out of bed before 7 this Sunday morning to get my run in. Geared up with my new camelpack and hit the road. Once again, after the first mile I was determined. By mile 5 I was hating it. I started thinking about where I was, wondering if J would come and pick me up. I chalk this up to the lack of miles during the week. Having my camelpack made a huge difference for me as well as the overcast morning to keep me cool. Mile 7 proved a little of a second wind for me. My commitment to finish the run was solid. The good news is that through the run I never got a stitch in my side. By mile 10 however my legs were feeling the run, from hip to toe. I was stopping every half mile for a brief stretch. I finished it though! As a bonus I finished it at an 11:40 pace. Not the fastest on the planet, but respectable for me for this many miles. The Capitola Half Marathon is maintained at a 13:45 pace, and I've been afraid that I would slip below this pace and be last, to complete the full thirteen miles at the pace I did is a huge boost of confidence. I hope that come race day I will be able to be at a better pace than today, presuming I prepare for the run correctly in the next few weeks, unlike what I did this past week.

Today's turn around point. 6.5 miles from home, almost to Metcalf Rd.

Home from the run and straight to a cold soak in the tub. Post run I seem to have a sore tendon on the top of my foot, in line with my big toe. A common issue I'm sure and some quick reading indicates it's from my calves being too tight during/pre run. So another mantra as I prep these final weeks is to keep myself stretched and loose. Hopefully some yoga will help with that.


This is my last 'big' run before race day. I have 8 miles next Sunday and 5 the Sunday after, then it's time for the big run. I guess this is what we call the taper. Hopefully I will stick with my plan and be the most prepared as possible for race day.

No comments: